Friday, January 23, 2015

Once I Saw A Dragon

Once when traveling home from Missouri, I saw a dragon.

For real.

I saw a dragon.

Well, not a real dragon.  But I really saw it.  It's kinda the same thing.  I know you would not believe me, so I took pictures.

I happened to be driving by on my way back from a conference in St. Charles, Missouri with a coworker.  I did a little Google research before leaving and looked for interesting things to stop and see on the way.  For example, you can see the World's Largest Ketchup bottle on the way.


This is the Kaskaskia Dragon.  It lives in Vandalia, Illinois.  If you have ever been by there, you know there is not much around.  This dragon lives about a mile from the highway, next door to a liquor store and surrounded by farms.






 The Kaskaskia Dragon even breathes fire.  But only when you buy a $1 coin from the liquor store across the street.  (All kinds of classy)    










I don't remember if we made a wish.  I think we were mostly hoping it would not blow up and that we would escape unscathed with video evidence of the steel dragon sculpture to show off to all our friends and family.










After you plunk in your $1 coin.  The dragon hisses and you hear a thunk and then breathes fire out of its mouth for about 10 seconds.  That's less than a penny a second, folks.  

Affordable fun!  









Just in case you didn't see all the other warning signs, this one is tattooed on the dragon's leg.  So don't go climbing any ladders in front of this guy's mouth when some haphazard tourist plunks in a coin, m'k? 









No comments:

Post a Comment