Monday, January 26, 2015

Holy Yummy Guacamole!


I never liked guacamole in the past. I also never tried it. It was creamy in texture. Creamy usually means milk. And I don't get along with milk.

I got brave at a restaurant and tried it. Loved it! I looked up the recipe. No Milk! I now love guac and have made 2 batches in 3 days. It's easy and healthy and I love when I can get creamy food that makes me think of chip dip without the digestive consequences of chip dip. I even bought a kitchen towel with the recipe on it to remind myself to grab the guacamole & chips when I'm hunting for a snack.

I don't measure much when I cook- so you'll have to adjust.

* One ripe avocado peeled & pitted and cut into 1/2" chunks (WAY easier than it looks!)
* About 2-3 tbsp very finely diced onion
* About a clove of garlic finely chopped. I use the pre-chopped garlic found in the produce section and use about a 1 tsp. (I like garlic)
* About 1/4 of a lime squeezed for the juice (then added to my margarita water glass - yum!)
* About a tablespoon of finely chopped fresh cilantro - minus the stems. They taste like dish soap.
* 3 small grape tomatoes finely chopped
* Sea salt & cracked black pepper to taste

Optional: Peppers or Pico de Gallo to spice it up

Mash throughly or put into a food processor. Blend/mash until smooth. Put into a container and cover with plastic wrap - wrap touching the guacamole. Air makes it turn brown. Refrigerate for about an hour to let the flavors blend together.

Crack open a beer or make a margarita, turn on some Jimmy Buffet or Bob Marley, grab some tortilla chips and your fresh guacamole and pretend you're on a beach somewhere. It's the best snack EVER! Creamy dip, healthy packed with vitamins & protein. While high in fat, it's the good fat and it can even help lower your cholesterol.

What are you waiting for?? Go make some!


No comments:

Post a Comment