A friend suggested I write about elephants. Truth is, I don’t know a whole lot about them. They’re big. They live a long time. They’re smelly. My step-mom collects little statues of them. That’s about all I have. So, I researched and here are your off-the-wall elephant facts.
- While our knuckles are on our hands, an elephant’s knuckles are the soft spots behind its ears.
- Elephants only walk about 4 mph, can swim long distances and are the only mammal that cannot jump.
- They eat 16 hours a day totaling about 500 lbs of food and only have 4 teeth. So quit your complaining about working 8 hours and making dinner.
- Despite their size, elephants cannot see or hear very well.
- During World War II, the very first bomb dropped on
by the Allies killed the only elephant in the Berlin Zoo. Poor elephant! Berlin
- Their average heart beat is 27 bpm. Comparatively, a canary’s is 1000.
- They can purr.
- There are 2 different “kinds”- African and Asian. I’m pretty sure you can figure out where the names come from. African elephants are larger.
- Elephant’s poo about 80 kg a day, it can be used to make paper and does not smell. They don’t digest their food well, which is why they eat so much.
- An elephant's trunk can hold up to 2.5 gallons of water and will drink about 80 gallons a day.2.5 gallons is about as much as a low-flow toilet uses per flush.
And because this was cooler than I though it would be,
10 Famous elephants and their (often very tragic) stories:
- Dumbo – based on a real elephant named Jumbo Jr.
- Babar – the young elephant starring in a children’s book series.
- Jumbo - P.T. Barum’s famous circus elephant.
- Ruby - the artist elephant, born in the
PhoenixZoo. She painted and make thousands of dollars off her paintings. She died giving birth.
- Mighty Mary - circus performer, the only known elephant hanged for killing her inexperienced keeper.
- Topsy - tortured by handlers on
Coney Island, she killed 3 of them and then was executed by Thomas Edison.
- Norma Jean – struck by lightening and killed during a parade in Illinois.
- Packy – the first Asian elephant born in the
Western Hemisphere(Oregon) in 44 years.
- Batyr – said to be able to talk like a human.
- Ganesha – the Lord of Success, a Hindu Deity. Among the most revered Gods in Hinduism.