Wednesday, October 16, 2013
Scrap Paper Art
Below are directions for this super easy, super cheap art project.
several sheets of scrap paper, similar theme or color family
1-2 stretched canvases
white glue or Mod Podge
1. Start by cutting up the scrap paper. I used a paper cutter to make straight long cuts, then used the scissors to make irregular-sized lengths. Most of the strips were 1/4 - 1/2" wide.
2. Add a layer of Mod Podge or glue to an area of the canvas using a paint brush. I used 4 parts glue to 1 part water to make it more workable and not as sticky.
3. Assemble pieces onto the glued area of the canvas. Try not to make straight lines. Have some pieces horizontal and others vertical. There are no wrong ways!
4. Keep applying glue and paper to the canvas until the entire area was covered. you may find yourself cutting more pieces to fit into areas - that's okay!
5. When done, apply a final coat layer over the entire picture.
6. When dry (about 24 hours) add another layer to ensure the paper is completely sealed.
And that's it! A completed scrap paper art hanging that is completely yours! These two took me just about 2 hours to complete.
I plan to make more as gifts for my nieces and nephews in their favorite colors/sports/themes. The possibilities are endless!