Thursday, May 2, 2013

Tinted Mason Jars


My bestie was having a baby shower and I was in charge of decorations.  It was going to be outside and we were using all sorts of bright colors as the theme.  (No, they're not finding out.)

I wanted to do something fun and was in a Mason Jar kick.  So I looked up how to tint mason jars.  The ones I saw online were BEAUTIFUL!  Mod Podge and food coloring.


 I followed the directions carefully.  Mix food coloring with a little water.  Add to Mod Podge (glossy).  Spin and cover entire inside of jar.  Pour out excess.  Bake upside down in 200 degree oven for about 1/2 an hour.  Check.  If not clear, back another 20 minutes and keep checking.


Well, mine never got really clear.  They were more streaky and gloppy.   
 I ran out of Mod Podge and looked around for something else.  Something clear.  Something that would mix with water and dried hard. I dug through my art boxes, drawers, storage totes, closets (it's embarrassing, I might have an art/craft supply problem...) Liquitex to the rescue!  
I found a bottle of Pouring Medium and decided to give it a try.
NOTE: Liquitex Pouring Medium is NOT food-safe.  Do not eat/drink from the tinted jars!


Once again, I mixed the food coloring with a little water to break up the pigments.  Then I mixed some pouring medium in with it.  I kept it dark because I knew it would dry lighter.  I tilted the jars to totally coat the insides, then turned it upside down on a paper bag (to catch the drippings)  After about 1/2 an hour, I did a second coat in the same way.  I left the jars upside down for another 1/2 an hour or so, moving them once and a while to make sure they were not going to stick to the paper bag.


I then moved them to wax paper (still upside down) and let them dry for the night.

The next morning, I turned them right-side up and let them finish drying for a couple days.  Just to be safe.

(Worth noting again) NOTE: Liquitex Pouring Medium is NOT food-safe.  
Do not eat/drink from the tinted jars!


The finished jars as centerpieces.  I crinkled some decorative cellophane and put the rings back on with a cut artificial flower. They turned our lovely and with the cellophane inside, you could hardly see the streaks & glops from the green Mod Podge batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment