Friday, May 17, 2013

Fairy Garden Mushrooms

One thing all fairy gardens need: mushrooms!

Once again I grabbed my sculpey and started creating.  Here was my process:

Materials:
White Sculpey
14-gauge wire
Acrylic paint


 First I cut the wire into 6" lengths.


Then using the sculpey, I molded a mushroom.


 I inserted the wire into the mushroom base.  I made sure to reform the base to make sure the wire was in there snug so it won't fall out later.

I baked them in the toaster oven at 325 for about 13-15 minutes.  


 After they cooled, I broke out the acrylic paint and painted the mushroom caps red.  Next time, I will probably use red sculpey for the caps.  It would be much easier than painting and the color would be richer.  Finally, I applied a coat of glitter mod podge to the caps to add some sparkle.  Then I added a matte mod podge to the stems to seal them.


Viola.  Mushrooms!  Or as my loving hubby calls them - little... well, use your (dirty) imagination.    

Next on my list: Snails!  And more/better mushrooms!

1 comment: