Wednesday, October 16, 2013

I'm A Scout Mom


Yep, I definitely am a Scout Mom. Three of my boys are in Boy Scouts and I have been a parent leader and volunteer for 6 years.  I was apprehensive to put my boys in Scouting after hearing about the sex scandals, anti-gay and racial issues and the theory that Scouting was a pre-military group.  After some research, visiting several groups and participating in the Scouting program, I have come to appreciate and deeply value the Scouting program has taught me and my boys.

It's not just about camping or tying knots. It's about teaching young men and boys to grow up with the values and understanding of responsibility that is so missing from today's society.  Teaching boys to "Do Your Best."  It teaches them to be aware of the environment, to respect everyone and everything, to Leave No Trace and most of all that a Scout is Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brace, Clean and Reverent.

If you have a boy that you want to put on this path, go to www.BeAScout.org.  Plug in your zip code and see what scout groups are out there for you.

And if the first group isn't what you envisioned, try another one.  Each group and each set of leaders works differently and has different approaches.  Some are more home-based and laid back.  Some are more structured.  Some love camping.  Some never camp.  Some require annual dues and additional funding. Some only require registration fees.  Some do a lot of crafts and go places.  Some require you to do work at home with your scout.

Bottom line is all the same - the adults leading these boys want the boys to succeed, live by the scout values and laws and be the amazing people we know they are.  The adults go through a series of comprehensive training, background checks and work together as a team to ensure the safety and growth of the boys.


2 comments:

  1. Where did this patch come from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I am not sure where you can get this patch. I found the image online and have never found a source for purchasing it. If you happen to find it, let me know! I know several Scout Mom's that would love to have one!

      Delete