Friday, June 7, 2013

Mama's Mushroom Soup Casserole

Something my mom used to make us kids when we were younger was cream of mushroom casserole.  I'm pretty sure it's a staple in the Midwest.   It was the last thing I ate before my oldest child was born.  Funny how such memories get stuck in your head, huh?  

It's a super easy casserole that costs less than $10 and will easily feed a family of 4.   

 Here's her recipe - with a few of my own additions.


Ingredients:
8-12 oz egg noodles, medium
2 cans Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 can tuna fish (in water), drained
French onions
1/3 cup finely diced onion
2 tsp chopped garlic
dash of milk
salt and pepper to taste
Shredded cheese (we use Colby-Jack)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease/oil casserole dish.  

2. Bring water to a rapid boil water.  Add 8 - 12oz egg noodles and cook as directed.  Strain and rinse with cool water to stop them from overcooking.


3. In a large bowl, add cream of mushroom soup, garlic, onion, tuna.  Add salt & pepper as desired.   Mix thoroughly.  Add milk as needed to thin the mix.  I usually have to add about 1 cup.  Stir in noodles until completely mixed.  

 
4. Pour into casserole dish. Cover with shredded cheese.  Sprinkle french onions over top of cheese.

5. Bake 30-35 minutes.  Let cool 10 minutes before serving.


 Unfortunately, I can't eat this dish anymore because I cannot have milk or dairy products.  But the last time I made this, my three hungry guys left just one serving.  It was a battle of rock-paper-scissors to see who got the leftovers the next day.




No comments:

Post a Comment